Saturday, February 25, 2012

Quesadilla time!


It doesn't take much to make two tortillas happy.  All they ask for is cheese and a hot pan.  A few refrigerator mates, however, always make for a fun party.

Okay, so does good tequila.


That was delicious.



I dare say I would choose avocados for my stuck-on-an-island food.


Rainbow Swiss chard...what color!  Cook the stems until just tender, then set aside in a small bowl. That's a bit of leftover Spanish onion glowing through.


I have no idea how portabellas ended up in my fridge.  Wait, that's right, I was in Golden Harvest and nearly tripped over them.  Okay, that's not true.  Golden Harvest is a very safe place to shop.

Saute your shroomz over medium-low heat with more slices of onion.  Slow cooking here, friends, slow cooking. Why not cook all the onion with the chard?  Share the love, baby, share the love.


Once you've given the mushrooms a couple of flips and they've softened and browned, add in your chard greens.  And garlic, don't forget the garlic.  Fresh garlic, of course.  You should be arrested if you're using that pre-chopped, jarred stuff.  Have another shot while you mull this over.

I almost forgot: there's a whole chopped green bell pepper hiding under the pile of chard greens. Don't tell anyone.


I bumped into this cheese after cruising the beer selections at Carl's Meat Market.  This stuff was smoked in the truest fashion.  Incredibly tasty...had the perfect amount of smoke, and heat from the jalapenos.  Click on the photo and you'll see that it's produced in Canterbury.  Okay, so now you don't need to click on the photo.


Hubby makes his debut!  Notice his fingertips are positioned well away from the grating blades.  The poor dear had to learn this on his own.


Okay, I confess to buying a green bell pepper in February.  It was a gorgeous pepper.  Thick walls, succulent cells, sweet.  Grown in the U.S. (at least).  I think I just described my hubby.  Another Golden Harvest temptation.  The pepper, not the hubby.

The scallions (not to mention the chard, garlic, cheese and yogurt) were grown right here in New Hampsha.  I'm having a brain cramp remembering their farmer's name.  It'll come to me.


Assembly time starts with lots of cheese.  Remember, it's the glue for both sides of your filling.


But first, let's have another shot.  My advice?  Buy only the best tequila.  And limes, plump, heavy, juicy limes.  I think I just described myself.  And make your own salt blend.  Forgo the green, sugary, fake margarita crap.  That stuff's for deceived Americans only.

My favorite salt blend: kosher salt, brown sugar, freshly ground shade-grown organic coffee, ancho chili powder, freshly ground black pepper and cinnamon.  Pretty much in that order.
  



There is a very specific technique to flipping tortillas, by the way.

If you've got two hands and a lid for your 12" saute pan, you're all set.  Use scant amounts of oil to lubricate the pan before adding the first tortilla.  I love the word lubricate.

With the first tortilla in place, add the cheese and filling, more cheese, and then the top tortilla. Medium heat as before.  Just leave it alone for 4 or 5 minutes before checking for its...slideability. Quesadillas are ready to be flipped when they easily slide back and forth with the gentle shaking of the pan.

Place the lid on and, in one fell swoop, turn the whole pan upside down.  Don't be afraid.  Be strong. Be happy.  Maybe don't have another shot until you've pulled this off.

Holding the upturned quesadilla on the pan cover, place the pan back on the burner.  Deftly pull the pie off the lid and into the pan.  I love the word deftly.


Top with a little dollop of fresh, creamy, sweet and tangy yogurt, fold over the two outside corners, and tuck in.  The spicier your filling, the sweeter your yogurt.  I just described our dog.

By the way, the scallions--which were killer beautiful at the last FM--came from Hollister Family Farm.

The organic tortillas are made by Maria & Ricardo in Canton, MA.  The company has a fun website.

1 comment: