Friday, April 11, 2014

Kimchi, Kimchi, Kimchi on a WTFJTI frittata

There's been so much talk about kimchi through the 'vine, lately, that I now find myself staring at an almost-empty jar.  If you've come across some of this stuff and thought anything but, "yum!", you need to have your head examined.  That was fresh.  I jest.  You need to seriously reconsider.  Don't think of it as something that you only eat straight out of a jar (leave that to the rest of us).  Think of it as a condiment with a punch of tangy flavor that works with just about anything.  You know, the way hot sauce does.  Or ketchup.

Yes, that's a lava flow of cheese....
For this stovetop frittata, I laid thin slices of tiny russet potatoes (Riverside Farm has the cutest little russets) down in a swirl of hot sunflower oil in my omelette pan.  Once they were flipped and golden around the edges, I sprinkled a bit of coarse salt and some leftover (Baer's) black turtle beans over them, followed by a massive mound of Meadow's Mirth spinach, and a couple slices of muenster (I have such a weakness for that orange rind...and all it is is beta carotene coloring).

After a minute or so for allowing the muenster a chance to relax, I added little knobs of Flying Goat Farm's 'scapegoat' goat cheese (has a garlic scape vein that I want three times more of).  This is the crème de la crème of goat cheese, my friends. So light and airy, smooth and creamy...it's enough to convert the haterest of goat cheese haters. 
Flying Goat Farm goat cheese "Scapegoat'


Right before serving it all up, I added that layer of Son-Mat's kimchi that you see on top.  Man, this stuff is yummy.  Handmade (Kittery, ME restaurant), fermented cabbage and peppers.  Haha.... Yup, seriously.

And then dove in.  I call this my WTFJTI fritatta. (Hint: "..Just Throw it In."  Really tasty stuff, this whole shebang.  Make sure every BITE has a bit of kimchi on it.

Where to find it?  Your last chance until you go to a store here on the Seacoast is at the Exeter Farmers' Market tomorrow!  Get those bags ready!

1 comment:

  1. Have stockpiled four jars of Son-Mat kimchi in my fridge, just so we never run out...

    ReplyDelete