Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Earth Day Local Food Celebration...Grecian Style!


Parsley, thyme sprigs, peppercorn, bay leaf, a few cloves and a garlic clove or two nicely round out almost any stock. This lamb stock became the base for one of the bechamel sauces (I made 3 versions of moussaka for this occasion, detailed a little more in a caption below).



First, I have to disclose one very important thing: no, I do not have pictures of the lamb moussaka and goat meatballs that were the highlight of this meal.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  All I can say is I got so caught up in enjoying this evening that I simply lost my blogging mind.  Please forgive this utter blunder and instead enjoy the story telling!

Second, this is my very first time cooking lamb and goat.  Did you know that goat is the most widely eaten meat in the world?  I didn't.  What prompted choosing these two animals for their meat?  Well, first, my friend Alix, who was the real inspiration behind this occasion, said, "Moussaka!" while she and I were brainstorming what to make for the meal.  Second, there happens to be a local farm nearby renowned for its meat and wool products.  So, off I went last Saturday to seek buying lamb from this farm, Riverslea in Epping, NH, and all I can say is, wow, what a beautiful place.  The gentle soul, Liz, who runs it with her husband, Jeff, clearly has what it takes to operate a farm in the most compassionate and humane way.  Their husbandry is evident everywhere; in the 1/2 hour I was there, all I saw was evidence of an immaculate, superbly run operation. The animals (pastured for most of their lives) were clean and healthy, spunky and happy; the place was relaxed, open for all the world to see; and they were warm and welcoming.  Makes sense when you learn that they are sought out by customers from all around the world, from Kenya to Japan!

Roasted bones make for a much more flavorful stock!
So, goat.  Yes'm, I cooked goat, and guess what?  No one could truly distinguish it from ground beef.  Now this likely has to do with how I used the ground goat.  I made meatballs, using sundried tomato, egg, hints of parmesan cheese, parsley and oregano, a little cream and some panko crumbs.  I also seasoned the mix with ground fennel and coriander.  I simply roasted walnut-size balls in the oven for maybe 10 minutes, and then tossed them in a Grecian tomato sauce (a classic tomato sauce that is infused with cinnamon, honey and mint).  All I can say is, they didn't stand a chance, even with vegans and veg-heads in the house.

Meadow Mirth's gorgeous little beet gems, roasted in evoo, s & p, were peeled and tossed in Farmer Dave's arugula with chucnks of Sandwich Creamery's outrageous Coulommier (kol-o-me-yay) soft cheese and honey-sweetened walnuts.  Yum.  Sorry, no specific photo of the finished dish :~( 
Friend Alix made her own dough for this foccacia, laced with slivered onions, greek olives and rosemary!
I'm afraid this is the only evidence of another arugula salad we enjoyed, made with ME pea beans, fennel and grated semi-hard cheese, and topped with p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y buttered & toasted croutons.  Think Greek version of panzanella!  Delish!

In addition to goat meatballs, I also served Brookford Farm's quark mixed with Amelia Maes & Co. 'pineapple and habernero' jelly.   It was such a hit, and super easy to whip together at the last second!

Sadly, this is the only evidence (laugh...) of moussaka.  Pretty bad for a food blogger, eh?  Sorry!  The three versions included: lamb, with a traditional sauce (bechamel made with lamb stock, not milk); vegetarian, using lentils that were stewed in traditional Greek flavors and a bechamel made with yogurt instead of milk; and, vegan, using the same lentil base, but a sauce made from evoo, flour and vegan bouillon.  All three versions included a delicious grecian tomato sauce, the recipe for which I got from Sheila Lukins' 'All Around the World' cookbook.  Worth seeking out!

This photo does not do this strawberry-rhubarb betty justice!  Strawberries frozen from last year's harvest, mixed with young, tender rhubarb from friend Sally's garden, topped with a delicious oat crumble...

...and served with the MOST luscious maple mousse these lips have ever touched!  Hints of orange permeated the mousse, made with all local ingredients otherwise.  Wicked good, right dow to the last lick of the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment