Sunday, February 24, 2013

'New Hampshire' Fried Chicken Dinner

My mother procures 6 or 7 chickens every year from her local farmer in Tamworth, one of which found its way to my freezer recently.  Upon thawing, I promptly broke it down into pieces, oven-fried 'em, and served 'em up with all the rest of the usual KY-style suspects (what can I say, I'm a child of the 70's), the difference being my sides came from within 3-25 miles!

Red and green cabbage-carrot slaw, thank you Heron Pond; corn, blanched and frozen from last summer's awesome harvest, thank you Barker's; mashed potatoes, thank you Riverside Farm; gravy, with homemade chicken stock, thank you Brookford Farm for the awesome flour; and, herbed cream cheese biscuits, thank you Gagne Foods, Bath, ME. 

I soaked my sectioned chicken pieces in a brine of 1-1/2 c Kate's buttermilk (ME) whisked with: 2Tbsp Raye's Old World mustard (ME); 1 Tbsp Herb Farmacy's garlic sea salt (MA); fresh ground black pepper and cayenne pepper; and, a splug of hot sauce.  Marinated for ~2-1/2 hrs, but wished I had thought of this menu a good 4 hours earlier.

Oven-"fried" made for a super crunchy and much healthier meal.  I used up some heritage flakes cereal, crushed, mixed with panko crumbs, various seasonings such as paprika, garlic powder, Bell's, salt and pepper, and simply dredged the buttermilk-soaked pieces until well coated.  Oh yeh, I drizzled a couple tablespoons of evoo into the crumb mixture first.

A hot oven--400 did the trick--and a rack set over a baking sheet was all it took to make these babies look textbook perfect.  Super tasty, super moist, and did I say super crunchy?  Hot buttered corn, crunchy and creamy coleslaw, and whipped, buttered mashed potatoes with a delicious chicken gravy brought back serious memories--without an iota of guilt!  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment