Saturday, April 27, 2013

Braised Short Ribs


While my posts may contradict my words, we really don't eat a lot of meat.  But, whereas I don't have a picture of any of my recent vegetarian goodies, and only have a picture of braised short ribs that I cooked up a couple of weeks ago, a post on meat it is!


Four nights out of seven are typically vegetarian for us.  Last night was eggplant parm from Ron Jillians, the night before focused on a medley of roasted roots veg, and before that we had a big hoppin' bowl of salad with all kinds of delicious toppings: apples (one of my two last fruits from last fall--yup, last fall--and still perfectly crunchy and sweet); toasted pecans; chunks of Brookford's brie with chives; and, the very last cheddar penny crackers, crumbled, that a friend baked up at Christmas (stored in my freezer).  All the greens were from the last winter market in Exeter a couple weeks ago: three kinds of lettuce, arugula, and baby spinach (stored in a crisper--the only way to fly).  So delish.  Other recent dishes include risotto with peas...quesadillas with New Root's chorizo and bell peppers (blackened and frozen from last summer's harvest)...and split pea soup.

A fork full of heaven.  Tender, succulent braised Tamworth-raised short ribs atop creamy mashed potatoes and  stewed carrots and bathing in a red wine, bacon and shallot gravy.  Wish you had been there.

Being spring and all, and my midriff hinting at needing lighter fare, the next post will focus on, hopefully, asparagus!  Will it be simply roasted?  Souped?  Grilled?  Wrapped?  In Risotto?  Who knows!  With eggs, leeks and greens abundant, I suppose I will be hard pressed to pass up a frittata.  Although, now that I think of it, grilled pizza with fiddleheads, peas and asparagus will be awfully tempting.  Think lemon and Brookford cheddar!

No comments:

Post a Comment