Thursday, February 20, 2014

Salad for Mexican Night

Roasted meets Raw in this baby.
Okay, first, there's not a whole lot in this dish that's local.  There's enough, but I fully admit this isn't a locavore's dish.  But isn't it pretty?  And, it was indeed really tasty, and met the needs of 8 hungry adults swooning over a sit-down chili luncheon yesterday.  Sweet, crunchy, buttery, earthy and salty (I finished it with smoked hickory sea salt), it's a keeper for our next chicken chili poker party....


For the vinaigrette, which lent savory and sour appeal, I used  a leftover vinaigrette that was made with champagne vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and dijon (a classic vinaigrette combo).  I added the drippings from the beets, a little fresh lime juice, and additional jalapeno-flavored olive oil.  A pinch of hickory salt and some cracked pepper went in as well.  The beet juice gave it a wonderful hue.

I roasted Riverside Farm sweet potatoes alongside whole beets from Brookford Farm. (I think I got them from Brookford's; they've been in my fridge for two markets now and I have short-term memory issues.)  The romaine (hiding underneath the whole array), red bell pepper, jicama, cactus pear, avocado and scallions were, well, from far, far away.  Missing from photo: cilantro that was minced and scattered around the outside edge, toasted pepitas that I initially forgot, and some crumbled Caerphilly cheese from NH's Sandwich Creamery (a Welsh cheese that light, fresh and briny--a softer and less salty version of a good feta).

A friend asked about roasting beets.  I wrap a half dozen small baseball-size beets in foil, after they've been doused with olive oil and s & p.  Skins, of course, are left on.  Depending on size, an hour to an hour and fifteen at 400 degrees should roast them to perfection.  Let 'em cool a bit, then use a paper towel to easily rub off the skins.

If you really want to be resourceful, be mindful of the roasting liquid sitting in the foil pouch.  I used mine to supplement the vinaigrette I made.

Cactus pear, also known as prickly pear, is readily available in local Hannaford stores...all prepped and ready for handling.  Choose firm fruits.  To use, slice the ends off and then make a shallow slit down one side of the fruit.  Using your fingers, peel back the outer layer to expose the flesh.  These babies have small seeds that are edible, but a nuisance to teeth.  I recommend using a small spoon to core them out, much like you would if seeding a cucumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment